Friday, May 11, 2012

Jazzfest Pic of the Day

This is a scene from inside the WWOZ Jazz Tent during the first weekend of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Ellis Marsalis was playing and the place was packed. Since I got there after the set had already started (I like to move stage to stage, tent to tent) I was standing in the back. Sound was good and in the couple years since I last attended Fest they have added a video screen in this tent allowing you to see the performers on stage from the back of the tent as well. Even with crowds like these in the tents, it is usually possible to get a seat if you wait a few minutes b/c lots of folks also move from venue to venue as a rule. You can also very easily move down to the front of the stage to take pictures if that is your thing (and it definitely is my thing). Mr. Marsalis put on his usual excellent show and remains one of the most respected elder statesmen of the NO music community.

No comments:

Post a Comment