Wednesday, May 23, 2012

NOJHF 2012: More Mardi Gras Indians

Thought I would share more of my photos taken of Mardi Gras Indians at the Jazz and Heritage Stage during Jazzfest 2012. These are from  the Friday of the first weekend. These were actually my first photos of the festival; Each day I rode my bike from my sister's house in Mid-City, parked and locked my bike near Liuzza's By the Track and walked into Fest via the Sauvage Street entrance which brings you onto the Fairgrounds right near the Gospel tent and immediately behind the Jazz and Heritage Stage. Anyway, on Day 1, I headed right for this stage and caught the first "Indian show"-the Semolian Warriors- of the day and then right after, a parade featuring the Black Mohawk and Black Foot Hunters Mardi Gras Indians. The parades start "backstage" from the Jazz and Heritage stage area and continue out onto the Fairgrounds, so if you are at the Jazz and Heritage stage you get the bonus - or lagniappe- of also being around to catch the Mardi Gras Indian parades or the various second line parades that step off from the same place during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment