Monday, May 21, 2012

2 New NO Recordings


PHJB Vinyl EP Cover
Received 2 new New Orleans recordings of note this week. First up is a limited edition vinyl EP of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band that includes 5 songs recorded live at their 50th Anniversary Concert this past January at Carnegie Hall in NYC. (See NY Times Concert Review here).This recording is very cool for a number of reasons. First, it's PHJB; second its live, third its a limited edition (only 504 copies) vinyl release and last-and maybe coolest of all- I was at the show! (along with my wife and some other East Coast New Orlean-ophiles). To my understanding, a full recording of the show will be released sometimes this year, but for now, this is pretty cool.


PHJB Vinyl EP Back Cover
Next up, I was listening to 'Oz on Friday and local NO musician Alex McMurray was in the studio talking up a record release party for one of my favorite New Orleans bands- the Valparaiso Men's Chorus. If you don't know who this group is you gotta check em out. Go here -their new website- for details. The group includes a large cast of New Orleans musicians including McMurray, Matt Perirne, Washboard Chaz, Rick Trolsen, and Greg Schatz backed by a large supporting "chorus" that is 25+ persons strong and includes among others WWOZ DJ George Ingmire  . They were making a rare appearance last weekend at the Saturn Bar and Mr. McMurray gave a little bit of background and history about the band, the origin of the name and concept. Very interesting- it turns out the group takes their name from the Chiliean port city of Valparaiso which was a major stopover for ships and sailors travelling between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans in the early 19th century. Their first CD release-Guano and Nitrates (2007)- is one of my favorite cds. The first time I heard it-on Oz of course- I was blown away (no pun intended). As soon as I heard mention made of the new CD being released I went right to the website and placed my order. Within minutes I received a confirmation email of my order-from Alex McMurray himself- and- blow me down-today I received the CD in the mail- shiver me timbers! Anyway, on first listen this second CD-titled The Straits of St. Claude- is as much fun as the first and I hope someday to be in New Orleans when this group makes one of their rare late night club appearances. It has to be a real blast. Yo ho ho and yeah you right.

No comments:

Post a Comment