Monday, July 18, 2011

If it's Monday, it must be....

Red Beans and Rice...man..have not posted anything for some time..not for lack of items or content..just harder than I thought to do this everyday..anyway, to try and catch up going to do a "day of the week" post this week...so, today is Monday which in New Orleans means red beans and rice..if you are lucky enough to be in New Orleans on a Monday I highly recommend that you visit Matassa's Market in the Quarter (1001 Dauphine St) at lunchtime for their red beans and rice. Go all the way to the back where they have a deli counter. A large container will run you about $7 and includes a big 'ol piece of smoked sausage..delicious. If you can't get to Matassa's then hit any Popeye's for their fast food version which consistently gets named as a "people's choice" when polling about best red beans- go figure.. Here back home I can get a fix at Popeye's which strangely enough has a location in the Philadelphia Market East train station. I'm also big on making my own and have tried various recipies.  I have gotten in the habit of mailing home a care package of dry goods from New Orleans any time I visit so I keep a pantry stocked with Camelia dry Red Beans and various other sauces, mixes I pick up at Rouse's market. Most recently I sent back cans of Blue Runner red beans which I used along with some locally bought pork tasso (Leidy's brand) and smoked sausage..Turned out really well- would highly recommend!...anyway, thats it for today..will be back again Tuesday for another post..gotta get back in the groove..

No comments:

Post a Comment