Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jazzfest from a Distance....

..let me be clear..nothing can replace actually being there..the sounds, the sights, the crowds and most of all the energy!...BUT if you can't be there you make do...listening to live broadcasts on Oz, getting live texts and pics from the Fairgrounds (Thanks Sis!) and watching recorded performances via Rollingstone.com was better than nothing at all. Oz always does a great job- love the fact that they are right at the Fairgrounds ..highlights for me were the Irvin Mayfield NOJO broadcast on last day..also enjoyed Ruthie Foster, Mahalia tribute and David Torkonowsky piano show..lots of what they broadcasted  I would not necessarily have gone to see if I was there in person but thats how  you hear different stuff and discover new bands and artists which should be purpose (IMHO) of the Fest anyway...Same goes for RollingStone broadcast..not a big Acura Stage fan...typically I stay away from big stages (my favorites are Fais Do Do and Jazz & Heritage stages along w/ Jazz,Blues and Economy Hall tents)..figure most folks on big stages I can see in Philly or NY at some point...like to seek out the local or more obscure artists that may not travel as much or are just emerging or even better, groups put together just for Fest..anyway, even given that, was impressed that RollingStone did 5 (!) hrs of coverage each day..broadcast and sound quality was very good (actually hooked up my  sons new laptop to my big screen flat panel tv) and they did a nice sampling of all the artists who plaayed Acura for the 2 days..My favorites were Better than Ezra w MG Indians , Bonerama and of course the Nevilles to close things out..keep wishing that some day they will figure out how to do a Pay per View thing or ideally let you tap into any stage at any time through out the Fest ( a guy can dream can't he?)..well thats all for now..actually writing this again from the skies- actually on my way to New Orleans for a quick visit...will write about reason for my visit in a later post..bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment