Monday, May 30, 2011

Finally...Back to my recent New Orleans Trip....

...Day 1: Saturday..landed New Orleans 10:30 am CST..Sister picked me up at airport..First stop: Rouse's Market to make groceries and get supplies (ie beer)..Per beer , settled on Abita Strawberry Ale which was in season and a six-pack from another local brewery on the Northshore Covington Brewery...Back to sister's apartment to relax a bit and say hello. Weather very nice...70's and sunny..not hot or humid..unusual for this time of year..Ok..so now time for purpose of my trip: going to the Krewe of Mid City float den for an open house for prospective members. I had met a guy in NYC at New Orleans Coney Island Fureral who, even tho he lives in New Jersey (!) is part of a honest to God New Orleans Mardi Gras Krewe. After me quizzing him on the particulars he said he would forward me a rider application and I could see about joining up!..Anyway, I went ahead and sent in my deposit $ to save me a spot on a float for next year's parade and ...next thing you know..here I am..In New Orleans visiting the float den that will be location of my Krewe ...unbelievable..anyway, back to my trip..so me and my sister get on our bikes and ride over to the float den (less than 1 mile from my sister's apartment-thinking this was meant to be!)..not a lot of folks there but meet all the key members of the krewe: President, Ride Captain, last years King and a couple of other guys and their wives who have been riding/involved with the krewe for 30+ years who give me the lowdown on what it means to become a krewe member..what a production to get a parade rolling!..all the while, drinking beer and eating plate after plate of crawfish, sausage, corn and potatoes...only in New Orleans.....so my sister and I spent a couple hours eating,drinking and socializing at the krewe den...I'm all in- gonna ride in parade next carnival season...Sunday February 19th, 2012..Nice!...Stay tuned for Saturday Evening Trip re-cap....

No comments:

Post a Comment