Thursday, March 24, 2011

EATS: Louisiana in Philadelphia

I read another review about Khyber Pass Pub here in Philadelphia, PA. in this weeks Philadelphia Weekly newspaper. I actually ate there a couple weeks ago based on the first (and much better) review I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Wow! I was there the day after Fat Tuesday. I had a couple bottles of Abita Mardi Gras Bock beer along with some boudin balls (excellent), gumbo (very good), and a shrimp po' boy -dressed (fantastic!). The side dish of fried okra was actually the highlight of the meal- came with something called "Alabama White BBQ Sauce"- don't know what it is but it tasted great. I also got a bag of the bacon popcorn to go- it definitely is addictive. For folks that know New Orleans, the special ingredient that makes the po' boy sing is the fact that they are served on  Leidenheimer French bread. Apparently, they get the bread sent up directly from New Orleans on a regular basis. (Secret: when I was there I asked if I could buy a few of the frozen rolls and they sold 'em to me for $1.25 each- quite a bargain in my book to be able to use in making my own 'po boys at home)! They also get their sausage from Cajun country so I am looking forward to going back multiple times to eat my way thru the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment